Monday, July 20, 2009

Double Take!

Wow! Last night I was walking through the Johannesburg airport with some friends who were getting set to travel to the US and I walked right past one of the most important people in South Africa. In fact, by most soccer fans perspectives, he is probably the most important person in the country as he is the CEO of the 2010 FIFA World Cup organizing committee. The name of this incredibly gifted and influential person is Danny Jordaan. As he passed by me in the corridor, he was busy talking on his cellphone, had nobody around him, and suddenly I had this incredible urge to walk up to him, shake his hand and thank him for bringing the World Cup to South Africa. But what did I do, I walked straight by him with the excuse in my head that he is way too busy, too important and it would be incredibly impolite on my part to interrupt him. Besides, if I had suddenly approached him out of the blue there would probably be security swarming to his rescue.

You see, I have bought my 16 tickets to four games for next year, and though I don't yet know what teams I will be watching battle it out on the field, I can say without a doubt that my excitement is growing by the day, and we're still a full year away from the event. I suppose this excitement is fuelled by the fact that my son and I were able to attend the recent Confederations Cup match at Loftus stadium with the USA vs. Italy. It was a great experience for the two of us to share and believe me, our whole family will be enjoying this calibre of matches next year. But since my little encounter last night with such an important figure, I have begun to reflect on the irony of it all. You see, in reality, Danny Jordaan is just another person going through life, persuing his goals and trying to get what he can from a job he probably enjoy's but also loathes at times. The fact is, he is no different in many ways than any one of us who are out there.

I can honestly say that what gives me greater joy and purpose, is knowing that Jesus Christ is and will always be the most important person in my life. Though I don't meet Him in airports talking on a cell phone, I get to talk with Him and learn from Him anywhere and at anytime and He is always ready to listen. Pretty awesome to think that I don't have to wait till Jesus is done talking on a cell phone, or that I am going to interrupt Him from some important meeting. Instead, it is pretty cool to think that He is always ready and waiting to welcome me into His presence.

Anyways, just thought I'd share a few bits of bit of info that has caused to me to do a double take in the past 24 hours.

Regards,

The Rags Bag

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Well, imagine my surprise this morning to see a new entry on the Rags Bag!! Welcome back to blogdom. Love how you contrasted God's open line to the busy lives here on earth.

And so jealous about those tickets...